Living with Alzheimers
Lifestyle Recommendations with Alzheimer’s Disease:
• Reduce lifestyle stressors and establish boundaries for mental well-being
• Do brain stimulating exercises like crossword puzzles, Sudoku and language learning, as well as physical exercises like ping pong, tennis and dancing that strengthen connections between new brain cells
• Get enough sleep and incorporate regular times for relaxation; take power naps, if possible
• Prioritize a good night’s sleep; 8 hours nightly with no electronic distractions starting 1-2 hours prior to bedtime
• Stay socially active and engaged
• Stop smoking and avoiding second-hand smoke as much as possible
• Do at least 30 minutes a day of walking or enjoyable exercise to assist with learning and memory consolidation and consider weight-resistance training to increase BDNF (Brain-derived neurotrophic factor)
Dietary Tips and Caveats for Alzheimers:
• Eat to improve and optimize gut health because the health of the digestive system is intimately connected to brain health
• Limit or avoid stimulants and potentially neurotoxic compounds like caffeine, alcohol, aspartame and MSG
• Consume foods that are rich in healthy, anti-inflammatory fats and antioxidants such as avocados, blueberries, coconut oil, walnuts, pastured egg yolks, green leafy vegetables, salmon, and more. Supplement with PaleoReds™ to increase beneficial intake of berries, which have been shown to support brain health
• Add herbs and spices to your diet such as rosemary, turmeric, holy basil, ginger, and cinnamon
• Support blood sugar balance by avoiding foods that spike blood sugar such as high-sugar snacks and beverages (includes sodas and fruit juices), refined carbohydrates, and high fructose corn syrup; avoid excess sugar to prevent accumulation of the toxic by-product, acetaldehyde
• Aim for 9 servings per day of skin-on fruits and vegetables rich in polyphenols that reduce inflammation. Eat organic as much as possible to avoid pesticides which have been linked to Alzheimer’s.
Supplement Recommendations for Alzheimers Patients:
Brain Vitale™ ½ teaspoon powder in water with breakfast and lunch or 2 capsules with breakfast and lunch.
Optional: MCT Colada 2 tsps taken alone or added to protein shakes
Lipoic Acid Supreme 1 capsule per day
The above protocol is designed as a general approach for dealing with the most common causes of Alzheimer’s. If you do not see results after several weeks you should contact us for a personal evaluation. The above recommended supplements can be acquired by clicking here.