Every night, you are in bed, ready to fall asleep, but due to insomnia, you end up staring at the ceiling, your mind racing with various thoughts. Or perhaps you feel tempted to take a nap, but falling asleep is not possible. With every passing second, you want to just relax, but that is a distant dream for you. Don’t worry, you’re not alone — according to the National Sleep Foundation, one-third of people face insomnia symptoms at night, and 10% suffer from chronic insomnia.
Sleep is a biological need; without it, the body can’t stay active nor survive. Sleeping disorders like insomnia or sleep apnea must be treated as soon as possible to help maintain the functioning of the body. Many biological processes take place when the body rests. Altering sleeping habits or lacking slumber may disturb health, as our mind does not get recharged. It has been estimated that in the United States, more than 60% of people suffer from insomnia. About 40 million Americans have some type of sleeping disorder.
If you want help falling asleep without having to take drugs, we have a solution for you. Naturopathy is a science-based tradition that promotes wellness by examining the unique aspects of each patient. They help patients with non-toxic natural therapies for prevention of illness.
What Is Insomnia?
Have you ever wondered what exactly sleep disorders are? A sleep disorder is a condition in which people find it difficult to fall asleep, wake up too early, or stay asleep for too long. There are no particular commonalities among people who suffer from insomnia. It can affect almost anyone in all age groups, whether they are adults, elders, or even children. The classification of insomnia is completely dependent on the poor quality of sleep.
Tips to Manage Insomnia.
- If you and sleep don’t synchronize well, try listening to soothing music. Soft music can allow you to go to sleep quickly and even improve its quality. Music has a link to our emotions that is effective for stress management. It relaxes our mind and body and directly affects the parasympathetic nervous system.
- Babies tend to fall asleep when they are rocked gently in a carriage or someone’s arms. The same phenomenon works with adults too. In Current Biology studies, participants who dozed on a hammock bed fell asleep faster than a regular bed. Try this simple remedy by chilling out on a rocking chair to help your body feel sleepy.
- The room you sleep in should be nap-friendly in that it sets your mind up for rest. Try to find a room that is completely dark and not too warm or cold.
- Do not exercise too late in the day. If you’re active less than three hours before sleeping, you will overstimulate your metabolism and increase your heart rate. Due to this, you will increase your chances of restlessness and frequent awakenings in the night.
- Contrary to popular belief, alcohol is not asleep inducer; it actually interferes with rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. You’ll seem to sleep better for a short period, but in the long run, it will disturb your sleeping pattern.
- Women may experience swings in their levels of estrogen and progesterone before or at the time of their menstrual cycle, which can disrupt their sleep.
- Insomnia can be caused by mental health issues such as depression, anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, and psychotic disorder.
- If you are suffering from any painful physical problem on a regular basis that is disturbing your sleep, consult with your doctor.
- Age is a factor that can contribute to insomnia for various reasons.
- Practice 15 minutes of simple yoga poses to unwind muscles before going to bed.
- Follow a routine of going to bed earlier than normal.
Insomnia has adverse effects on health. Such wakefulness can affect your work performance and ability to concentrate. If you are not getting enough sleep, it is time to seek a professional naturopathy doctor.
Naturopathic physicians are effective in treating chronic conditions compared to conventional medicine. They understand the art of healing with an herbal remedy, nutritional supplement, or by simply altering lifestyle habits. It is essential to choose the right naturopathy doctor who can understand you.